Elevating the tea House to New heights

It has been a while since I have had time to work on the tea house. I found some immediate problems with the cabin’s main building that I had to repair. My dad came out to help me with that, but we also got time to do some work on the tea house πŸ™‚

We added boards underneath the building, to prevent a draft from coming up trough the floor. The idea is that the insulation will rest directly on these boards. Also we prepared the floorboards inside the house. Next weekend I hope to be able to add insulation and seal the floor up.

While doing all, this my dad discovered that the building was crooked. Using his engineering skills he discovered that the NE corner needed to be lifted 4cm and the NW corner 7.5 cm.

The very next day I ran out and bought at jack meant to lift cars. I inserted it underneath the beams of the tea house and lifted it up enough so that I could insert a wooden board between the beam and the concrete pillars that it was resting on. That way I was able to lift the NE corner 3 cm and the NW corner 6 cm. Measuring inside, the tea house was almost perfectly level after this operation. I’m a bit proud, I have never elevated a building before πŸ™‚

Finally I was able to go the lumberyard and pick up all the exterior wood. I bought Siberian Larch. Supposedly this can stand untreated for a hundred years. It’s a huge pile of wood, and it is going to require a lot of work to get it onto the building.

 

One Reply to “Elevating the tea House to New heights”

Leave a Reply